Friday, June 14, 2013

The lost "HELLO" .... the undoing of our world




    The word "Hello" originates from an early African society that means: "I see you, therefore you exist."  "Hello" is the absolute, literal core of the principle of "Quantum of Solace."

Quantum ... the most basic unit of measure.

Solace ... humanity and caring. 

    Ian Fleming put forth the concept that NO relationship, of ANY kind, can exist for long without a Quantum of Solace.  The short story, "Quantum of Solace," by Ian Fleming is incredible illumination of how merely a measure of kindness can make the world a better place within which to live.  (Fleming's "Quantum of Solace" is a short story in the book of short stories; "For Your Eyes Only." The only connections between the stories written by Fleming and the commercial abuse by the movies are the titles by Ian Fleming.) 

    Who would even consider, for a nano-second, that the downfall of our society, and the world in general, could possibly have begun with the loss of a simple "Hello?" 

    Over the last couple of decades, "Hello" has gradually slipped away from all meaningful phases of life.  Not many years ago, on the Llano Estacado, everyone waved as they passed each other, either on a highway or a sidewalk.  The people of the Llano always acknowledged the other person whether they actually knew them or not.  The people of the Llano acknowledged that other people existed.  No longer is this simple acknowledgment the norm.  Some time ago I was driving in the desolate plains of Eastern Colorado.  The roads were barely wide enough for two cars to pass.  As I passed the very few cars that were on the road, I waved to each.  Not one wave of mine was returned.  Suddenly I was overcome by the thought that if I had car trouble on that road, I was totally on my own and that no one would offer to help a person in distress.  It was a horrible realization of a truth that no one had a Quantum of Solace.   

    I believe that the polarization of the world's people lies in not saying "Hello" to everyone that you encounter.  Saying “Hello” means that you know that that person exists and you start every relationship with level of humanity and curiosity.  The loss of "Hello" was the beginning of everyone "Bowling Alone."  There are very few actual conversations (a conversation is an "exchange" of ideas) that occur today, conversations (of old), have become incongruous monologs.  When one person speaks, the other is not listening but merely forming what they will say, given their next opportunity to speak. 

    The next step in society’s deterioration is the iPhone (iPad, etc.).  It is extremely difficult to have the determination to express a complex thought on a tiny touch screen.  The afore mentioned toys are designed for entertainment and short attention spans.  I carried a Blackberry for years and when I wanted to really communicate a complex thought, I would type into my Blackberry; “I will get back to you when I return to my computer.”  I have lost several friends and I have missed establishing meaningful relationships because of the iPhones.  Short tweets come from the iPhones as replies to complex questions that I have asked.  The short replies are not meant to be inconsiderate, but they appear and function as inconsiderate.  Back in the days when everyone wrote email on a computer I had a girlfriend that would say, “Buster, your replies to me better be equal to my questions and my thoughts to you.”   

    Beginning in 1989, I observed that I was only one of few that exercised intellectual curiosity in an attempt to have a real conversation.  I experience a very few that ask, "Rusty, how are you today?"  I am always eager to share and to learn from others, but there are few to "share" with.  In 1989 national congruency in the United States began to vanish and this loss of solace accelerates every day.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment