Friday, January 25, 2013

Herding Bison



Claudine and I made a trip to the Painter Outpost located a few miles south of the Wyoming-Montana border on the eastern edge of Yellowstone Park.  We saw an incredible picture of a Bison chasing a Grisly Bear in the snow.  If you have never been face to face with these enormous creatures you have missed an understanding that is beyond words.  I asked the proprietor about the Bison and the Grisly Bear.  He told us many interesting facts.  One fact in particular caught my attention.  He said, “You can herd Bison any way that they want to go.”  The words were no sooner out of his mouth than Claudine said, “Rusty, that is exactly the way that YOU are!”  We laughed because of the precise truth in her statement.
Over the following days I gave a lot of thought to these statements and I realized that the statements represented a major principle in the lives of all creatures.  I was raised on a cattle ranch. And, since I was the most expendable member of our family I was often charged with the task of herding our Hereford Bulls from one pasture to another.  If the weather was hot, the Bulls were annoyed to begin with, and they certainly did not want to go on any long country strolls.  As I would whistle and yell to encourage them to another location they would snort, kick the ground and head butt anything that was handy to demonstrate what they could do to you.  These Hereford Bull images came to my mind as I turned the recent Bison/Claudine story over in my mind.  Quickly, the images of herding the Herford Bulls became images of me herding my two wives.  When herded, and annoyed, my wives would snort and demonstrate other aggressive behavior.  The images of my wives morphed into images of the reactions of my two boys being herded.  The visions of the actions of my two boys being herded changed into visions of me herding architects.  It just does not work to herd any creature in a direction that they do not want to go.  Herding creates resistance, resistance creates drama and drama is a very unhealthy, unproductive state of mind. 


No comments:

Post a Comment